Frank Jotzo is Professor of environmental economics and climate change economics at the ANU Crawford School of Public Policy, where he directs the Centre for Climate and Energy Policy.
Frank Jotzo as senior authorship roles with the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and is joint editor-in-chief of the journal Climate Policy. He leads research on topics including decarbonisation strategies, economics of energy transition, policy instruments for climate change and environment, and international trade and investment. He has advised national and state governments, international organisations and businesses.
Over 100 publications, of which over 50 in peer-reviewed journals. See
For a list of recent opinion pieces and short articles, see Centre for Climate Economics & Policy
Frank Jotzo’s opinion pieces are usually published by The Conversation, Policy Forum, East Asia Forum, Lowy Interpreter and news sites such as Sydney Morning Herald, The Guardian and the ABC.
Links to selected presentations and longer media interviews are here.
Selected research grants
- 2050 Pathways Platform: research and engagement to support long-term low-emissions strategies for Australia (2019-20)
- Australian government (DFAT) 2017-2020: Energy Transition Research Hub (joint with University of Melbourne)
- Australian government (DFAT) 2013-15 and 2016-20: ‘China’s climate change policy: the role of markets’ (chief investigator; collaboration with several Chinese universities)
- IDDRI/Climate Strategies 2016-18: ‘Coal Transitions’ research project
- Australian government (Department of Climate Change/DFAT) 2013-15: ‘Australia-China research program on market mechanisms for climate change policy’ (chief investigator; collaboration with several Chinese and Australian universities and other institutions)
- ARC Discovery grant, 2010-13: ‘International coalitions for climate change mitigation: the role of carbon market linkages and trade restrictions’ (chief investigator, with Peter J Wood as named researcher)
- ARC Linkage grant, 2009-11: ‘Governance and economic incentives for reducing the contribution of tropical deforestation to climate change’ (joint CI with Luca Tacconi, and Peter Larmour and Emma Aisbett).
PhD students, as main supervisor
Current PhD students:
- Zeba Anjum
- Eliza Murray
- Cedric Hodges
- Kurnya Roeasad (Renewable energy policy in Indonesia). Post-PhD position: Indonesia Green Growth Institute.
- Adriyanto (Economics of fiscal transfers for resource-rich districts in Indonesia). Post-PhD position: Indonesia’s Ministry of Finance.
- Patrick Doupé (Financial incentives for reducing the contribution of deforestation to climate change). Post-PhD position: Potsdam Institute for Climate Impact Research (PIK).
- Matthew Dornan (The Contribution of Renewable Technologies to Energy Security in Fiji). Post-PhD position: ANU Crawford School.
- Panel member for Shenghao Feng, Jonathan Pickering, Hyungsup Lee, Ditya Nurdianto, Ross Lambie, Greg Buckman.
- Economics and policy of climate change and energy
- Environment and development
- Political economy of policy reform
- Global issues, Australia, China, Asia-Pacific, Europe