Andy Kennedy specializes in international politics, with particular interest in China, India, and the United States. His current research focuses on the globalization of innovation, US-China high-tech rivalry, and China’s rise as a technology power. He has also published widely on the foreign policies of China and India in the Cold War and post-Cold War periods. His research has been supported by an ARC Discovery Early Career Researcher Award, among other sources.
The Conflicted Superpower: America’s Collaboration with China and India in Global Innovation (New York: Columbia University Press, 2018). Published as a Nancy Bernkopf Tucker and Warren I. Cohen Book on American–East Asian Relations. Reviewed in Perspectives on Politics, Public Administration Review, Political Science Quarterly, and Kirkus Reviews. Published in Chinese by CITIC Press Group in 2021. Received the Kirkus Star Award in 2018.
The International Ambitions of Mao and Nehru: National Efficacy Beliefs and the Making of Foreign Policy (Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press, 2012). Reviewed in Perspectives on Politics, The China Quarterly, Journal of Cold War Studies, The China Journal, Asian Security, Pacific Affairs, Contemporary South Asia, Strategic Analysis, China Report, The Book Review, Canadian Foreign Policy, and The Hindu.
- “The Process of Paradigm Change: The Rise of Guided Innovation in China,” forthcoming in Review of International Political Economy.
- “The Resilience Requirement: Responding to China’s Rise as a Technology Power,” Survival Vol. 65, No. 1 (2023): 115-128.
- “The Stakes in Decoupling Discovery: China’s Role in Transnational Innovation,” (with David L. Dwyer) The Pacific Review Vol. 35, No, 1 (2022): 147-171.
- “China’s Rise as a Science Power: Rapid Progress, Emerging Reforms, and the Challenge of Illiberal Innovation” [PDF, 287KB],” Asian Survey Vol. 59, No. 6 (2019): 1022–1043.
- “The Politics of Skilled Immigration: Explaining the Ups and Downs of the U.S. H-1B Visa Program,” International Migration Review Vol. 53, No. 2 (2019): 346-370.
- “The Innovation Imperative: Technology and U.S.-China Rivalry in the 21st Century” (with Darren Lim), International Affairs Vol. 94, No. 3 (June-July 2018): 553-572.
- “China’s Innovation Trajectories,” Survival: Global Politics and Strategy Vol. 60, No. 3 (May 2018): 71-86.
- “Unequal Partners: U.S. Collaboration with China and India in Research and Development,” Political Science Quarterly Vol. 132, Issue 1 (2017): 63-86.
- “Slouching Tiger, Roaring Dragon: Comparing India and China as Late Innovators,” Review of International Political Economy Vol. 23, No. 1 (2016): 65-92.
- “China and the Free Rider Problem: Exploring the Case of Energy Security,” Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 130, No. 1 (2015): 27-50.
- “Powerhouses or Pretenders? Debating China and India’s Emergence as Technological Powers,” The Pacific Review Vol. 28, No. 2 (2015): 1-22.
- “China’s Search for Renewable Energy: Pragmatic Techno-nationalism” [PDF, 213KB],” Asian Survey Vol. 53, No. 5 (September/October 2013): 909-930.
- “India’s Nuclear Odyssey: Implicit Umbrellas, Diplomatic Disappointments, and the Bomb [PDF, 134KB],” International Security Vol. 36, No. 2 (Fall 2011): 120-153. © 2011 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. (http://www.mitpressjournals.org.virtual.anu.edu.au/loi/isec)
- “China’s New Energy Security Debate,” Survival: Global Politics and Strategy, Vol. 52, No. 3 (June-July 2010): 137-158.
- “Can the Weak Defeat the Strong? Mao’s Evolving Approach to Asymmetric Conflict in Yan’an,” The China Quarterly, No. 196 (December 2008): 1-16.
- “China’s Perceptions of U.S. Intentions toward Taiwan: How Hostile a Hegemon? [PDF, 199KB]” Asian Survey vol. 47, No. 2 (March/April 2007): 268-87.
- Technology and globalization
- Comparative foreign policy
- Power transitions
- China, India, and the United States
- POGO 8045 International Policymaking in the Shadow of the Future
- POGO 8236 Public Strategy
- POGO 8235 Engaging China
- POGO 8506 Strategic Policymaking