- About us
- Research associates
- Contact us
- Staff login
We lead the Australian research component of a multilateral project convened by IDDRI and ClimateStrategies. The project involves on the ground research in Australia, China, Germany, India, Poland and South Africa. The overall project goals are described here.
As part of the Australian research, we
– investigate regional economic and social dimensions, looking at the case of transition from brown coal fired power in the Latrobe Valley. This work is jointly led with the Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute at University of Melbourne;
– analyse options for governments to support the energy transition, including through policy mechanisms aimed at orderly transition, and fiscal policy instruments as tools to create incentives and create revenue for supporting the transition and investing in the foundations of new industries;
– create scenarios for Australia’s coal use and production in the context of global trajectories for climate change mitigation.
Presentations related to coal transitions by CCEP associates:
– Sarah Bice, April 2018, Coal vs CSG: Community perspectives on the lesser of two evils, ANU Crawford School of Public Policy.
– Paul Burke, Rohan Best, and Frank Jotzo, April 2018, Local unemployment following coal plant closure, Energy Transition Hub and ANU Crawford School of Public Policy.
– Lars Coenen and Stephanie Campbell, April 2018, Industrial transformation and regional renewal: lessons from EUs regional innovation policies, Melbourne Sustainable Society Institute and University of Melbourne.
– Frank Jotzo, April 2018, Coal taxes as supply-side climate policy and for structural adjustment, ANU Crawford School of Public Policy and University of Melbourne.
– Jonas Nahm, July 2018, Central-local relations and Chinas clean energy transition, visiting ANU Crawford School of Public Policy, from John Hopkins SAIS.
– John Wiseman, Stephanie Campbell, and Fergus Green, April 2018, Towards a just transition away from coal-fired power generation: Learning from the closure of the Hazelwood Power Station, Energy Transition Hub and University of Melbourne.
Coal transitions: a symposium on current research, public events at ANU and U Melbourne, April 2018. Links to presentation slides: Mazouz (Australia coal), Burton (South Africa coal), Jotzo (coal tax), Wiseman/Campbell (Latrobe), Coenen (industrial transitions), Bice (community perspectives), Burke (employment).
Various international events listed here
We are a partner of the international Conference on Fossil Fuel Supply & Climate Policy, Oxford September 2018 (and also the first conference in 2016)
Stephanie Campbell, Lars Coenen, November 2017, Transitioning beyond coal: Lessons from the structural renewal of Europe’s old industrial regions, CCEP Working Paper 1709.
John Wiseman, Stephanie Campbell, Fergus Green, November 2017, Prospects for a “just transition” away from coal-fired power generation in Australia: Learning from the closure of the Hazelwood Power Station, CCEP Working Paper 1708.
Richter, P., Mendelevitch, R. and Jotzo, F. 2018, Coal taxes as supply-side climate policy: a rationale for major exporters?, Climatic Change.
A coal tax to help the climate and the resource owners, F. Jotzo, The Conversation Nov 2015.
Submissions to inquiry into the retirement of coal fired power stations, Senate Environment and Communications References Committee, November 2016: